I must say I’m guilty of having a serious sweet tooth ?. I love snacks, sweets and treats. I’m also big on trying to stay healthy and making things myself. For the most part, I always try and choose the healthier options at the grocery store. However, when I read the nutritional facts there are still much artificial sugars and salt. I started to think, instead of buying the factory made things, why not make them myself? In this post I’ll be sharing two simple at home do it yourself recipes.
This recipe is really cool and I was so shocked at how easy it is to make. I can only drink almond milk because my stomach just doesn’t agree with any other regular milk. ??Almond milk taste great and it is an amazing substitute if you want to cut out dairy from your diet. I was inspired by one of my favorite bloggers Heather Lindsey, who recently posted her almond milk recipe. I thought OMG I can definitely do this and not have to buy the factory processed milk. I really enjoyed making this and hopefully you will too! Here’s how you make it.
1 cup of Almonds
Dates ( or honey )
Cheese cloth or strainer
1. Take one cup of sliced or whole almonds ( you can purchase a pound of almonds at whole foods, trader joes, or most grocery stores ). Pour the almonds into a bowl with water and soak them overnight. If you have no patience to let them soak overnight lol you can boil the almonds in hot water for an hour. ( I haven’t tried it this way, but I read it works as well).
2. The next day take the bowl out of the fridge and drain the water from the almonds using a strainer.
3. Take 1 cup of almonds and 3 1/2 cups of water and pour it into the blender. For every cup of almonds you should add 3 1/2 cups of water.
4. Add dates or honey for sweetener ( you can use as many or as little dates, depending on how sweet you want it, I used four).
5. Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract, a few dashes of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. The salt helps preserve the milk.
6. Blend it all together for one minute.
7. Place the cheese cloth over a bowl and pour the blended milk into the bowl. The cheese cloth catches all the pulp ( you can save the pulp and bake cookies with it later). The cheese cloth is ideal but I found it to be extremely messy. I ended up using my strainer which I found so much easier to use.
8. Take the strained milk from the bowl and blend it again for an additonal 30 seconds.
9. Pour the blended milk into a jar and TADAA!! You have just created your very own home made almond milk. The milk last for about 3-5 days so just milk sure to check that it’s still good. Enjoy ?
Trail Mix Cookies:
This is seriously my new favorite snack. I love trail mix nuts so I thought why not bake it and make it into a cool snack.
1. Take 1 cup of your favorite mixed nuts and place it into a blender ( you can use granola if your allergic to peanuts) . Add a dash of cinnamon, and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Blend for one minute.
2.Preheat the oven at 250 degrees. Add the blended mix nuts into a bowl and add honey to make it nice and chewy. Mix it all together.
3. Take a scoop of the mixture, round it into a ball and flatten it with your hands. Place each piece in an aluminum or baking pan and place in the oven.
4. Let it bake for 25mins. Take it out the oven and let it cool for 5minutes. Boom!! You’ve just created your own trail mix cookies. Now you can enjoy it with your homemade almond milk, yummy.
I hope these simple and easy recipes are able to help you make healthier choices. You can also YouTube some of your favorite snacks and find healthier ways to make them. I love fruit roll ups so I’ll be making some this weekend… I’ll let you guys know how that goes .
The most important thing is making the effort to change the way you eat. I pray this post inspires and challenges you to make better choices. I know trying to eat healthy can be difficult and a bit of a challenge but we can do all things through Christ.